* acknowledge that it's going to happen;If the music industry had, like the author suggests, found a way to get most people to pay for accessing a network like Napster in the early days of music file sharing, it would probably not find itself in the poor position it is now: hated by a majority of consumers while not really making much money in the process. The music industry will have to reshape its approach to the digital medium or face the prospect of a (timely) death.
* find a place to collect a toll;
* charge a fee that's low enough to get buy-in from the majority;
* ignore the penny-ante fee evaders;
* sue the blistering crap out of the big-time fee-evaders.