2008-08-07

Obama and NASA funding

I don't know if anyone was paying attention to this when it happened back in November 2007, but Obama unveiled his education plan to the US to much laudation that month. However, one thing that bothered me, which may not have been noticed by most others because, honestly, noone cares all that much about NASA anymore (nor does NASA give people reason to care, most of the time), was that he intended to pay for his education initiative by delaying funding for NASA's Constellation program:

Though Obama called for a renewed investment in math and science education, his plan would actually pull money from the federal government's greatest investments and achievements in math and science. Obama would delay funding for the NASA Constellation program for five years, though he would maintain the $500 million in funding the program would receive for its manufacturing and technology base, in order to help fund his education policy.
This bothered me quite a bit; after all, it's sort of depressing that the only way his campaign found to increase education funding was to delay (read: shut down) the future of America's human space exploration program (for those who don't know, Constellation will be replacing the aging space shuttle program).
So, when I read yesterday that Obama promised not to cut NASA funding, I was a bit confused. After reading a bit more carefully, I understood what was happening; Obama was speaking in Brevard County, Florida, where a large segment of the population is sustained by NASA's Cape Canaveral. He would have come down on the "wrong side" of the issue with that audience so he decided to change his mind (perhaps temporarily) about NASA's human space exploration program.
I have been grumbling about Obama quite a bit of late. The fact that I don't grumble about McCain shouldn't be read to mean I like him; it's more like McCain doesn't even show up on the radar as a viable presidential candidate in my eyes. And to be honest, I really don't think Obama's that bad; I think he's probably the most hope-inducing presidential candidate I have been around to see. It's just that he's not as principled as I thought he was when I heard his Race Speech (although that probably makes him a better candidate and president). I'm going to stop grumbling for some time.

[via Florida Today]

3 comments:

  1. this kind of reminds me of that article we read about obama in law school, where someone said it is really hard to pin down what he actually thinks about things sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could be that he found money to do both: renew the investment in math & science education and fund the Constellation program!

    He appears to be our best bet so I'd give him the benefit of the doubt. As for playing to the crowds; given the recent history of our electorate would you blame Obama if indeed he (temporarily) changed his stance...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous, I've heard the same sorts of things about him... It probably makes negotiations much easier for him (which is probably pretty useful for a president).
    Id It Is, he may have found a new way to fund his education initiative. I guess we'll have to let him be president in order to see whether that is true. Hehe.

    ReplyDelete